- Community Service Volunteers
- Summer Heritage Camps Leader
- Closing date
- Job description
- We are looking for volunteers (aged up to 30) to help run summer heritage camps for 16-25 year olds from all round Europe and the UK helping to preserve Britain’s beautiful historic buildings. Each camp lasts for a week and there are camps running throughout July and August at cathedrals, churches and other buildings of historical interest across the country.
There are two leaders on each camp who would be working with CSV Heritage Camps and venue staff to timetable work schedules, social activities and preparation of accommodation and food. The volunteers and leaders are accommodated by the venue and the leaders ‘live in’ with the volunteers and assist the team to bond and help with social activities in the evening. Leaders are responsible for all aspects of the volunteer welfare, with support from venue and Heritage Camps staff. The camp includes a budget for the camper’s food and it is the leader’s job to budget for the camps and record expenditure etc. The teams vary in size from 6 to 20.
The volunteers would be maintaining, cleaning and helping to conserve the buildings and grounds of the cathedral or historic building where they are based. They might be restoring monuments and statues, re-laying stone pathways, maintaining ornamental woodwork and brass features, clearing crypts and cellars, painting, gardening or restoring graveyards. Although you will be involved in doing these practical activities too, your main role will be to lead the team and oversee everything, making sure everything runs smoothly.
You will need to provide the names of two referees and undergo a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check which is organised by us. You will also need to attend a two day training event in June. Expenses such as accommodation and travel will be covered.
As camp leaders, there would be no cost for you to participate and you will be provided with accommodation, food, equipment and travel expenses.
If you are interested please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be sending out application packs in April when the camps for this summer will be confirmed so at this stage we would like you to email your interest and we will be in touch in a few months time with more information.
- Accepted degree subjects
- East of England
- Edinburgh and East Central Scotland
- Aberdeen and North East Scotland
- Dundee, Perthshire and Fife
- Inverness and Highlands and Islands
- Greater London
- Borders and South of Scotland
- Glasgow, Stirling and West Central Scotland
- West Midlands
- East Midlands
- North East England
- North West England
- South West England
- South East England
- Yorkshire and the Humber
- Working hours
- up to a week